Roughly, remember your mortality.
Also, a song by the Streets.
But in this case, a reminder to myself that I should strive to leave this place better than I found it, and a list to inspire others to do so as well.
- Brown paper and string: One of my great passions in life is to deliver anonymous gifts to mostly strangers, wrapped in brown paper and (preferably colorful) string (the gift, not the stranger…though I may have done that before). The paper and string part is essential; none of that tape nonsense.
- Post-it notes are portable, sticky, and come in bright colors. What better way to leave nice little notes in books and mirrors around the world?
- Mailmen and women work hard, and they deserve little gifts on the mailbox from time to time.
- Add some fresh flowers to the local decor - be it the office, the dining hall, or the bathroom. Be unexpected.
- Leave subtle patterns wherever you go. Small spirals in the gravel pathway, three little leaves on benches around campus. Mystify the people aware enough to start to notice.